Friday, August 26, 2011

53 dead in attack on Mexico casino


"Workers are continuing to pull bodies out of a burned casino in northern Mexico, where gunmen spread petrol and ignited a fire which trapped and killed at least 53 gamblers and employees.
Relatives gathered at the cordon outside the Casino Royale in Monterrey, some crying and others yelling at police for providing no information. Later they were allowed to view bodies to help identify the victims.
Governor Rodrigo Medina told the Televisa network that the death toll had reached 53. The fire in a city that has seen a surge in drug cartel-related violence represented one of the deadliest attacks on an entertainment centre in Mexico since President Felipe Calderon launched an offensive against drug cartels in late 2006.
Mr Calderon tweeted that the attack was "an abhorrent act of terror and barbarism" that requires "all of us to persevere in the fight against these unscrupulous criminal bands".
Attorney general Leon Adrian de la Garza said a drug cartel was apparently responsible for the attack, though he did not say which one. Cartels often extort casinos and other businesses, threatening to attack them or burn them to the ground if they refuse to pay.
It was the second time in three months that the Casino Royale had been targeted. Gunmen struck it and three other casinos on May 25, spraying the building with bullets, but no-one was reported injured in that attack. (...)"

1 comments:

Hento the loony repairman :D said...

I live in mexico and never before had anyone done something as blatant as this, the telling goes that they pulle dover in a few trucks and told everyone to leave at gun point, with ak's and all, while 2 guys poured gas all over the place, it took them 2 minutes to ignite the stuff and bail out, the problem is that, peopel saw the guns and just ran for their live INTO the casino, further inside, and hid, and where caught in the blaze, the strange thing is that the city where i live, the casinos have 2 entrances and several fire exits, so while the fire was deliberate, the owners will face some kind of truble for not having several emergency exits, the fire was started at the entrance, and only acces :(

August 27, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Post a Comment

 
World Daily News | by TNB ©2010